Peerless by Tymphany STW-350F-188PR01-04 15 High Power Subwoofer
The Peerless STW-350F-188PR01-04 15″ subwoofer produces deep and clean low-frequency reproduction with minimal distortion at high output levels. Designed from the ground up for output, performance, and reliability from the smallest enclosures, this driver with its 7.4″ voice coil, internal magnet assembly, and outrageous excursion capability is a welcome departure from conventional subwoofer designs.
- Massive 7.4″ voice coil produces extraordinary low power compression
- 2 Large aluminum shorting rings for better control and minimal harmonic distortion
- Dual 8 ohm voice coil allow multiple wiring configurations including dual amplifier designs
- Internal magnet structure provides more force from a smaller magnet
- Lower Vas and Fs with higher BL for unmatched low end capability from the smallest enclosures
- Extensive voice coil venting for quiet operation and increased power handling
- Over 90mm of mechanical excursion prevents failure under the most demanding conditions
A New Generation of High Output, High Power Subwoofers
The STW-350F-188PR01-04 subwoofer from Peerless was designed with performance and space in mind. This drivers offer deep and clean low-frequency reproduction with minimal distortion at high sound pressure levels. Unlike most subwoofers, the STW-350 can be mounted in a much smaller box than traditional subwoofers, which is enabled by the low Vas, high moving mass, and huge 7.4″ (188 mm) voice coil. This driver also features a unique FEA-optimized ferrite motor, extremely robust suspension, and an incredible amount of venting which provides extraordinarily low power compression even when driven with over 3,500 watts of power. This driver is built for high-quality performance and long term reliability.
Note: Due to the incredible amount of venting on this driver, when used outside of an enclosure, the air turbulance generated will create audible noise. Because of this, we recommend the use of a sealed enclosure.
Combining celebrated Danish transducer engineering with the manufacturing efficiencies enabled by Asian manufacturing, Tymphany propels Scandinavian speaker technology into the 21st Century. By paying tribute to iconic classic designs from Vifa and Peerless, and complementing them with bold new pro and consumer loudspeakers entries, Tymphany is positioned for further decades of audio excellence.
Massive 7.4″ Diameter x 2.25″ Long Voice Coil
With small enclosure subwoofer design high-moving mass is necessary, but it is difficult to apply mass where it can be put to work. For the STW-350F, it was put into the voice coil – this improves the performance of the driver by raising the motor force. Unlike a conventional motor design, Bl changes very slowly as function of voice coil displacement. A voice coil with large surface area also offers another benefit – power compression is practically non-existent. Because of this, the voice coil takes longer to heat up, resulting in uncompressed dynamic musical peaks.
Internal Motor Design
To drive a high moving mass a subwoofer needs a powerful motor. In most cases a more powerful motor is achieved with a larger magnet (which increases a driver cost, size, and weight) or using a more efficient neodymium magnet (which is unstable and loses strength as the temperature increases). An additional benefit of the STW-350F’s giant coil is that Peerless was able to mount a ferrite motor inside of the voice coil. Conventional motor structures with the magnet outside of the motor lose 50% of their energy in stray fields, while a magnet on the inside of the voice coil will have 90% or better magnet utilization. The STW-350’s motor is the best of both worlds: reliable and efficient.
Long Coil + Long Gap = High Excursion
With an Xmax of 10.4 mm this driver might not seem all that impressive. However, Xmax is just a physical measurement and not actually the limit of linear excursion (Xmax = (Voice Coil Length – Magnetic Gap Height) / 2). The STW-350F has a remarkably long 36 mm magnetic gap with a 57 mm long voice coil. Thanks to such extreme dimensions and a well controlled magnetic field, this driver is capable of 45.5 mm of excursion before any major loss in motor strength (Bl). In other words, this driver is capable of 90 mm (3.5″) peak to peak excursion while still producing low distortion output.
Front and Rear Mounting Points
Due to the weight and extreme force that the STW-350F is capable of, Tymphany included rear mounting points on the back side of the frame. By attaching the rear of the frame to a brace in an enclosure, the baffle will be solidly tied to the sides walls increasing the rigidity of the enclosure while helping to support the overall weight of the STW-350F. These threaded holes accept M6 x 30 screws.
Note: Specifications below are measured with voice coils wired in parallel
- Nominal Diameter – 15″
- Power Handling (RMS) – 3,500 Watts
- Power Handling (max) – 5,000 Watts
- Impedance – 8+8 ohms
- Frequency Response – 10 to 500 Hz
- Sensitivity – 88.7 dB 2.83V/1m
- Voice Coil Diameter – 7.4″
- Resonant Frequency (Fs) – 25.3 Hz
- DC Resistance (Re) – 3.2 ohms
- Voice Coil Inductance (Le) – 3.31 mH
- Mechanical Q (Qms) – 11.39
- Electromagnetic Q (Qes) – 0.5
- Total Q (Qts) – 0.48
- Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) – 2.05 ft.³
- Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) – 0.068 mm/N
- BL Product (BL) – 24.18 Tm
- Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms) – 576.8g
- Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) – 10.4 mm
- Surface Area of Cone (Sd) – 774.4 cm²
- Cone Material – Paper / Carbon Fiber
- Surround Material –Rubber
- Voice Coil Wire Material – Copper
- Voice Coil Former – Fiberglass
- Basket / Frame Material – Cast Aluminum
- Overall Outside Diameter – 15″
- Baffle Cutout Diameter – 13.7″
- Depth – 9.17″
- Bolt Circle Diameter – 14.25″
- # Mounting Holes – 8
- Sealed Volume – 2 ft.³
- Sealed F – 342 Hz
- Vented Volume – 2.88 ft.³
- Vented F – 324.2 Hz
- Brand – Peerless by Tymphany
- Model – STW-350F188PR01-04
- Part Number – 264-1652
- UPC – 848864049885
- Unit of Measure – EA
- Weight – 65 lbs.